A prayer has the power to potentially change any situation, even the most challenging one, in miraculous ways. In fact, God may even choose to send angels into our lives to answer our prayers. But how often do our prayers reflect the reality that God may respond to them by performing miracles? Sometimes we pray as if we don’t really believe that God will answer us. Major religious texts declare that God responds most powerfully to the prayers of the truly faithful.
No matter how hopeless a situation seems, from a stale marriage to a prolonged period of unemployment, God has the power to change it when you pray boldly and have faith that he will respond. In fact, religious texts say that God’s power is so big that he can do anything. Sometimes our prayers are too small for such a big God.
5 Ways to Pray More Powerfully for Miracles
God will accept any prayer since he’s always willing to meet us where we are. But if we pray without expecting God to respond, we limit what we’re inviting him to do in our lives. On the other hand, if we approach God with faith-filled prayers, we may see something wonderful and miraculous happen. Here’s how to pray more powerfully to invite God to work miracles in your life:
1. Build Your Faith
The simplest way to strengthen your prayers is to increase your faith. Ask God to give you the faith you need to confidently trust that he will keep his promises, no matter what circumstances you find yourself in.
- Choose to believe that God will reward you for diligently seeking him, as religious texts promise.
- Pray with a sense of eager anticipation, expecting that God will always act to do what’s best when you pray.
- Expect God to do much more than you could do on your own.
- Surround yourself with people who have strong faith, people who believe that God is as big as he says he is, and who have personally experienced his mighty power and faithfulness in their own lives.
- Keep a prayer journal in which you record specific prayers that you practice daily until breakthroughs come. Write down the answers to your prayers when they come. Later, read your past journal entries to remind yourself of how God has been faithful to you.
2. Ask for What God Wants for You
When asking God for something in prayer, ask with pure motives. Seek answers that reflect God’s will rather than trying to convince him to follow your own plans.
- To identify any faulty patterns in your prayer life, ask yourself: "Am I praying merely for my own comforts and desires?," "Do I ever pray when things are going well, or only when I'm in dire need?" "Is my motive in prayer my own happiness, or God’s glory?," and "Do I pray with an attitude of doubt, just going through the motions of prayer because it seems like the spiritual thing to do?"
- Repent of any wrong attitudes and ask God to help you approach prayer with pure intentions.
- Pray in alignment with God’s will and remember that he wants the best for you.
3. Rely on God’s Strength to Fight Spiritual Battles
To pray effectively, you must rely on God's strength and allow it to empower you when you face challenging situations. Be aware that the discouragement or despair you feel may be caused by evil that is opposing your efforts to grow closer to God.
- Rid yourself of sinful habits that may be opening doors for evil to come through.
- Confess and repent of any sin that God brings to your attention, and ask him to cleanse you of it.
- You’ll never lose a battle when you fight with God’s strength flowing through you. So don’t just rely on your own limited strength; pray for God to empower you to do battle in every situation.
4. Wrestle in Prayer
Prayer requires perseverance. You must learn to have faith in God's plan and trust that he will guide you, even when you are going through very difficult times.
- When something bad happens, don’t just throw out a few brief prayers for God’s help. Instead, grab hold of God’s promises and fight to see them realized in this fallen world.
- Be persistent, praying until God gives you answers. Don’t give up praying about a situation until God’s power comes into it.
5. Pray for What Only God Can Do
If you want to pray powerfully, you must pray for things that require great assistance, things that you could not just easily change on your own.
- Don’t limit your prayers to simple situations that don’t require much divine intervention to change. Instead, make a habit of praying for big things that only God can do. For example, instead of praying to get through each workday, pray for a bigger vision of your vocation and the courage you need to fulfill it, even if that means finding an entirely new job.
- Invite God to do something incredibly powerful in each situation that you bring before him.
God will respond to any prayer, no matter how small. Since you can approach God with confidence, why not pray the biggest, most powerful prayers that you can?
Whitney Hopler has written on faith topics since 1994. She is communications director for the Center for Advancement of Well-Being at George Mason University.
Please Note: this article has been re-posted without prior written consent by the original Author. Link to the original article and site as well as a link to the Author's page can be found above and within this disclaimer. If you are the Author of this post and you think that we are not re-posting it under the realm of 'fair-use', please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org
Read Next: 7 Warnings The Angels Use To Keep You Safe